Get the PDF of freelance writing templates that shows 24 examples of freelance article pitches that turned into paid assignments for national magazines and websites!
"I used your Freelance Pitching template and got approved for an assignment! I sent an article pitch in February, followed up a week later, and I heard back from the editor that I got the assignment!" -Kaneesha Jackson (April 2023)
See real freelance article pitches that got sold to magazines and websites including SHAPE, Real Simple, Men's Journal, Reader's Digest, ApartmentTherapy.com, Headspace, and more multi-million dollar content marketing clients in this freelance writing guide and mini ebook for freelancers and writers.
In this Freelance Writing Guide, you'll find out:
-How to write subject lines that intrigue editors
-How to write an introductory email to an editor or content marketing manager
-Real feedback from editors on how to write a pitch that turns into a freelance assignment
-How much detail you should include in an article pitch
-The importance of following up with editors when it comes to freelance pitches that get assigned
-And more tips on how to write freelance article pitches that sell!
Get your copy of this writing template to follow today and start sending out amazing freelance writing pitches to editors and potential clients.
"I can't thank you enough for getting me on the right track with regard to pitching, specifically within my niche. In the past, I've purchased books on writing query letters and LOIs, subscribed to newsletters, online communities and classes, and read about pitching in general, but nothing clicked. However, since I began following you and subscribed to your newsletter in these past few weeks, it all clicked. The way you present, explain the hows and why's, teach, and share actual templates, your method makes all the difference! Just know that you're the QUEEN of your craft!" -Arnita Williams, customer
Customers who've used these freelance article pitch examples and the principles behind them have gone on to write for Glamour, Women's Health, Muscle & Fitness, Well + Good, Food Network, Equinox, Oxygen, and more.
These freelance article templates in a ebook format address answers to common pitching questions like:
What’s in a Winning Article Pitch? 7 Components Writers Need to Include
This freelance writer’s process for writing an article pitch that editors want to read and assign includes these components:
- Timeliness: Why this, why now?
- Suggested headlines: Make sure the headline is in the subject line or high up in the pitch. It should be written in the style of the headlines that the publication uses.
- Who and what will be in the article: Will you interview experts? Will you cite recent studies? Will you interview an author of an upcoming book? Whomever you tell the editor that you’ll include, make sure you have or can get access to them for the freelance assignment.
- Why it’s the perfect article pitch for them: Make sure the pitch shows that you’ve done your homework and know their brand. Add in some freelance pitch copy that lets them know how this solve’s their audience’s problems.
- Why YOU should write it: Give the editor a brief background about you and why you would be the BEST freelance writer to work on this particular article.
- Similar article examples (freelance clips) if you have them: Include a few relevant links so the editor can see your writing style.
- If they need to respond within a certain time. If your pitch has timeliness around an event and you need to pitch to another outlet if you don’t hear from this one, let the editor know that. The freelance article pitch copy could be something like “Due to the timely nature of this story, I need to get a confirmation assignment as soon as possible. If I don’t hear back from you by X date, I’ll assume you aren’t interested and send the pitch to my second choice.” I’d also change your subject line to something like “timely pitch.”
"I'm so happy that I came across Diana's blog and subsequently her "20 Pitches That Worked" PDF which has proven crucial in preparing me to send out pitches as I start my journey into freelance writing. As a creative in a separate field, I was looking for an easily digestible road map to help me on this new path, and luckily Diana and her invaluable lessons were right there!" - Neal E. Fischer, filmmaker, author, podcaster (who got two articles published on The Brag Media after buying this pitching resource)
Here's an example of one of the freelance article pitches that sold so you can check out this guide's format:
I share some of the pitching practices I use in this pitching packet to help me get freelance work from the following clients: Instyle, Men's Journal and Fitness, Real Simple, Reader's Digest, Beachbody, Health, Harry & David, TheBump, Chewy, and more.
24 Examples of freelance article pitches! AND "Signs your rates are too low" PDF